Galveston, Texas is a popular destination for business and leisure travelers alike. It’s coastal location offers all visitors beautiful views of the Gulf of Mexico. In 2013, TownePlace Suites, a nationally renowned branch of the Marriott hotel family , added a new
location in Galveston. Because of our long-standing relationship with the Marriott chain, Quaker was the first choice for windows
but several spec’ed requirements had to be met before the final selection was made. Those items included:
- – Impact glazing: Because the building was situated right on the coast, the windows had to be structurally reinforced and specially glazed to meet Design Wind Speed (130 mph) per the City of Galveston’s building codes. The same glazing had to meet Large Missile Impact testing requirements (windborne debris and cyclic) as dictated by ASTM E1886 and E1996.
- – Specialty hardware: Impact-rated hardware had to be installed on all operating units. Limited travel/tamper proof
devices had to be installed on all operating units too.
- – Thermal Values: The windows had to achieve Solar Heat Gain value of 0.27 and U-Value of 0.70 or better.
- – Louver system: Some operating units required a built-in louver system to eliminate field work. The louver system, just
like the windows, had to be Impact-tested.
- – Paint Finish: All units had to have an AAMA 2605 paint finish, tested to meet Salt-Spray Resistance standards per
ASTM D 1654.
- – STC: Sitting along Galveston’s busy Seawall Boulevard, sound had to be muted for hotel guests.
Quaker came through with flying colors on all accounts, as we supplied nearly 250 E700 Horizontal Sliding windows and picture window units with glazing to meet all of the specified Impact, Safety and Thermal requirements. On elevations needing louvers, Quaker supplied these units fully mulled and ready for immediate install. Completed in mid-2013, this property boasts 88 studio, one-bedroom and two-bedroom suites with fully equipped kitchens and standard living and sleeping accommodations intended for travelers staying for extended periods of time.