Quaker Profile

History

Quaker Window Products was founded in 1949 by Marge (1919-2013) & Harold (?-1994) Knoll, who established a business philosophy in the beginning years that has stood the test of time. The philosophy includes a dedication to detailed workmanship and responsive service.

1949: Quaker Shade Co. was started by Harold & Marge Knoll in St. Louis. Later that year, it relocated to Marge’s hometown of Freeburg.
1952: By the end of the year, Quaker had 11 employees on the payroll.
1954: The company began making aluminum storm windows and storm doors.
1957: Quaker had grown to 65 employees.  Also, an article in Building Specialties magazine declared Marge Knoll as “probably the only woman general manager of a window company in the country.”
1961: The Knoll’s saw a huge market opportunity, and introduced Quaker’s first aluminum replacement windows.
1962: LIFE Magazine referred to Quaker as a nationally-recognized brand for quality windows.
1963: The company now had more than 150 employees
1964: Quaker officially changed their name to Quaker Window Products Company
1974: Quaker observed their 25th anniversary.
1979: The peak of the storm window and storm door industry as Quaker regularly produced more than 2,000 of these products a day.
1982: Quaker expanded its prime window production area and now had more than 6 acres of manufacturing space under roof.
1983: The company was up to 225 employees.
1985: Quaker began making vinyl windows.
1988: Wood clad windows were added.  Quaker was now one of the first companies manufacturing aluminum, vinyl and wood windows in the same location.
1990: Quaker biggest growth period in company history began. Harold Knoll, Jr. assumed the position of General Manager/Executive Vice-President.
1996: Ground was broken on the largest building to date on Quaker’s main site, a 55,000 square foot aluminum production building.
1997: Tom Knoll became GM/Executive Vice-President.
1999: Quaker marked their 50th anniversary and now had more than 400 employees.
2004: Mike Knoll became the company’s GM/Executive Vice-President. A new 65,000 sq. ft. building was built on a new campus, 2 miles south of the main plant. It was the home to a new glass manufacturing and tempering facility and was the biggest structure ever built by Quaker.
2009: The company’s 60th anniversary was celebrated.
2012: Quaker expanded once more, and again, it was their biggest building to date. Mike Knoll’s foresight became a state-of-the-art powder coat paint facility. At 110,000 sq. ft., it was affably referred to as “Mike’s Monster”.
2013: Ken Knoll was named company President and Kevin Blansett became General Manager. An entire plant modernization project was kicked off. It included a large addition to the existing aluminum production facilities built in 1997.
2014: Quaker’s 65th anniversary was commemorated by more than 600 employees.
2015: A major office expansion and renovation was completed which will allow the company to support future growth for many years to come.
Facebook IconYouTube IconAdd us on Google Plus